Ønsker du å bli medlem på Kvakk.no? For å hindre spam i forumet krever vi nå at du har en invitasjonskode for å registrere deg som medlem. For å få tilsendt en invitasjonskode, send en e-post til olafmoriarty krøllalfa gmail punktum com eller krice krøllalfa kvakk punktum no, og vi vil invitere deg så raskt vi kan.

David Gerstein's controversial opinions

edited October 2004 in Donaldisme

David Gerstein skreiv:

Oh, and I DO have controversial opinions!
— Non-Italian Mickey Mouse stories from 1950s-1980s are overrated due to nostalgia: even when the plots are good, the characterization of Mickey is boring
— Klodrik is a great character when used right
— Same goes for José Carioca
— Same goes for Hekla Heks
— Jesper Skaugen reminds me of someone I'm not going to vote for on 2 November

I think this deserves a new topic, as it has nothing to do with neither reviews nor Norwegian languages, and what Gerstein bring up here, is rather interesting. Since Gerstein was the one who really started it, I hope you excuse me as I try to write this in English, even if it's a Norwegian Forum.

About the old Mickey-stories, I think I can see your point. As I'm working with my website, I have currently read a lot of those stories lately, most of them made by Fallberg/Murry. I must say that I really like these stories, but that isn't because of the characterization of Mickey, but because the plots are often quite good, and so is the art. Goofy (and often even Pluto in the shorter stories) are often written much better that the main character. Mickey is just either a very common man (or mouse) in short stories or a detective in the longer ones. We learn very little of what he thinks or feels, he has no weaknesses and may seem too perfect, this maybe making him a bit boring. I think many of today's writers have done a wonderful work with Mickey, because they have made him an interesting character, maybe for the first time since Gottfredson drew him, and Mr. Gerstein has done his part here! He's now no longer the perfect detective, he's become an adventurer, this making him much more interesting. In many ways today's writers have gone back to the roots, and made him more like the character he used to be in the 30ies and 40ies, always looking for new adventure, not afraid to take a step into the unknown, but he's not as 'perfect' as he was in his detective days anymore, and he does occasionally make mistakes, this making him more human (if one can use that word on a mouse).
It's true that nostalgia easily can fool us a bit, but everything wasn't perfect in the old days either. Sure much of the old stuff were very good, and it's these things that are remembered. It's easy to think back at good moments from the childhood or the youth when some stories really impressed you, because you were in the right age for that particular story at that time, but maybe you get a little surprised when the story is read several years later. One also tends to forget the stories that really wasn't so hot.
I really like the Mickey of today, he's fresh and fun, and he's also got a good supporting cast again. It saddens me a bit when some people will get rid of this character in the Norwegian comic. This may be a controversial opinion too, but I think it's too much Donald in this comic. I would like a bit more variety than what's the case today, and I would really hate to see Mickey gone from the comic. Often the stories with the mouse and his friends are those I enjoy most.

About Klodrik (Fethry) I again agree with you. As stated, I read a lot of comics from the mid-60ies these days, and among the stories I read, are those early Kinney/Hubbard stories featuring this character. I've read these stories before also, of course, but I must say that I like them just more and more. Fethry is such an interesting character, quite bright actually, but he just sees the world a bit different than what others do. He's not just another Donald, as some writers tend to write him, but he got his own very unique personality. I'm very happy that some of the newer writers use this character in the right way again, and again is David Gerstein on of them. Fethry may look like a simple character, but I think he's really complex, and maybe not so very easy to write. Hope to see much more of new stories with this character in the future.

As for José Carioca, I must admit I don't really know too much about this character. I loved Rosa's story and I know he's very popular in Brazil, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. Any chance that this character can become a regular, or is he more or less a non-character like Moby Duck and a few others, except in stories like the one Rosa made?

Hekla Heks (Hazel) may be another good character. I really like the old Barks classic 'Trick or Treat'. I also have an Italian comic featuring this character. This story is from the 50ies and is drawn by the great Bottaro. I've tried to translate it as good as I could, and it's a really great story that should be published in Norway some day. I also remember the story called 'The Dime from Uncle' (Don't remember the Norwegian name right now) also featuring the Beagle Boys. In this story the boys had attended Hazel's school of magic, and learned a few tricks. The fight between Scrooge and the bad guys in this story is both really funny and really exciting. It was published in number 37/67 and is long due for a reprise.

Jesper Skaugen (Hard Haid Moe) is another character I've always liked very much. He's a perfect character together with Fethry, and it feels right that this is someone that Fethry should know. I think it's real sad that he's considered a non-character, but I loved Gerstein's story 'Dance of the Cuckoos' (Gjøkvalsen) published in number 29/2001 where both Moe and his dog appeared without really appearing. I read some place that he was considered a non-character because he looks so little like the rest of the usual Disney-characters, but this I find a bit strange, as he's drawn not so very different from what Madam Mim is, and she still appears regularly.

Comments

• edited November -1

Halvor skreiv:

Since Gerstein was the one who really started it, I hope you excuse me as I try to write this in English, even if it's a Norwegian Forum.

No problem. Back in the time when this board had rules (we still do, but they're not written down anywhere), I remember it said that posts could be written in Bokmål, Nynorsk, Swedish, Danish or English. So, no problem.

(er det nokon her som har problemer med å forstå engelsk, ver så snille å gi uttrykk for dette, så er eg sikker på at dei fleste her, meg inkludert, er behjelpelege med oversetjingar av dei viktigaste avsnitta.)

As for controversial opinions ... Well, I agree with David on practically everything, so from my point of view there's not much to discuss and not much controversial about it until someone actually disagrees. :-)

Though, let me add something:

I think that both Mickey, Fethry, José, Hekla and Jesper are great characters when used right. But at the same time, they are terrible characters when used wrong. Not only them, though - Donald and Scrooge are also terrible characters when they're used in the wrong way. Actually ... that goes for all characters, doesn't it? Good when used right - bad when used wrong. Hey, I would even generalize and say that goes for *all fictional characters ever made* - from Hamlet to James Bond to Ebenezer Scrooge to Varg Veum to Doctor Jekyll to Robinson Crusoe to ... everybody! OK, some of these are only used once, but I hope you see my point? Using the character in the right way is the key to making a great character - that goes for all characters, doesn't it?

As for David's semipolitical statement; sorry, David, we try to keep politics away from this bulletin board, so let's drop that ball dead right away before we have a pretty nasty discussion going on about everything but Disney. OK?

• edited November -1

Who is he woting for?

• edited November -1

Hvem er Jesper Skaugen?

• edited November -1

Jesper Skaugen er en gammel eneboer som driver et småbruk høyt til fjells. Han er ganske sær og skytegal når det kommer 'inntrengere'. Hans eneste selskap er hunden hans, men han er en kjenning av Klodrik, og på 60- og 70-tallet ble det laget ganske mange historier med Skaugen, Klodrik, Donald og Skrue. Hvis du leser historien om Gjøkredet som jeg refererte til i mitt forrige innlegg, så er det han som er den skytegale eneboeren i den historien, selv om vi aldri får se ham. For et bilde, se her: http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/simp.php

• edited November -1

Halvor skreiv:

Hvis du leser historien om Gjøkredet som jeg refererte til i mitt forrige innlegg, så er det han som er den skytegale eneboeren i den historien, selv om vi aldri får se ham. For et bilde, se her: http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/simp.php

Det skulle være Gjøkvalsen selvsagt

• edited November -1

Uff så my tull det ble her, linken fungerte ikke. Se heller bilde av Jesper Skaugen her:

http://stp.ling.uu.se/~starback/dcml/chars/moe.html

• edited November -1

Sleipe-Simon skreiv:

Who is he woting for?

Please, keep the politics away from the forum as Olaf said. As in Norway we usually don't ask each other what we are voting in any election, we should do that same with Americans.

But now, any form of political themes are finished in this thread.

• edited November -1

David Gerstein skreiv:

Er, who says the discussion would be nasty?

You didn't mention politics in a nasty way. But our experiences from earlier cases tells us that a little doze of politics in that forum causes disagreements from some of the other users (Note, I am not pointing out somebody!), and again it causes a very hot (and off-topic) discussion.

• edited November -1

OK. I will not talk politics. Although the Duck comics have never been 100% politcs free. Espescielly when I think about Don Rosa having precident Teddy Roosevelt in many of the tales from Scrooges youth.

• ACAC
    edited November -1

And, sorry, especially when he when seeing a drawing of Bush that a young artist made in Bergens comicartist-club (or what they call it) - he exclaimed: Not that guy again, I travled away from USA not to see him...

So if we here haven't got political wievs that we put out in the open, others do.

• edited November -1

Sleipe-Simon skreiv:

OK. I will not talk politics. Although the Duck comics have never been 100% politcs free. Espescielly when I think about Don Rosa having precident Teddy Roosevelt in many of the tales from Scrooges youth.

Thats history, not politics.

• edited November -1

Lars Olav skreiv:

Thats history, not politics.

A Duck that "talks" meets an american president is not history it is fiction.